Art and Anna Carter settled at the mouth of the Montagneuse River in 1917. At the site of the present day Carter's Camp they raised cattle and barged freight up and down the Peace River and Art opened a sawmill that supplied many homesteaders. Harassed by bears and discouraged by the death of their cattle from poisonous weeds they moved to the top of the ridge and resettled in the Hillandale District where this house was built in 1938. It was considered a very grand home by standards of the Great Depression and large considering they had no children. Art Carter was also a Land Locator and as such he helped people find suitable sections for homestead.